Full form of 5G is Fifth Generation. This Fifth generation is wireless or 5G which is latest Cellular Technology that is mostly been engineered so that speed and responsiveness of wireless network can be easily increased. Here in 5G, connection with wireless broadband, data can be transmitted with the speed of more than 20 Gbps. With this, it also offers very little latency i.e 1ms and where there is the necessity of real-time feedback there it offers much little. Because of more bandwidth and advanced antenna Technology in 5G, more amount of data in it is transmitted through wireless.
Other than improvement in speed, capacity and latency here 5G also provide other network management features in which network slicing is the main which allows other mobile operator to create multiple virtual networks that also in one single physical 5G network. With this capability, network connection can be used for any specific uses and business cases and it can also be sold as a service basis. For example, self-driving Cars which require one network slice which provide extremely fast, low latency connections. With these vehicles can navigate in real time. We can also connect a home appliance via lower power and slower connection because in this there is no requirement of high performance. Other than this we can use
secure,data-only connections in internet of things(IOT).
5G networks and services will be deployed in many stages in the next few years which will easily fulfill the necessity of increasing mobile and Internet-enabled devices. Overall we can generate new application of many varieties through 5G. In India now there is a craze of 4G but in all over world’s
Telecom operator Mobile Technology they are ready in bringing next-generation 5G.
Thus it is also making ready to bring 5G.
- 1 ◆ Features of 5G Technology
- 1.1 ◆ How does 5G technology work?
- 1.2 ◆What is the status of 5G Deployment?
- 1.3 ◆ Types of 5G wireless services available
- 1.4 ◆What are the advanced features of 5G?
- 1.5 ◆ What is spectrum band of 5G?
- 1.6 ◆ What are main advantages of 5G?
- 1.7 ◆ What are main dis-advantages of 5G?
- 1.8 ◆ What are the applications of 5G?
- 1.9 ◆ Main challenges of 5G.
- 1.10 ◆ Future scope of 5G
- 1.11 ◆Conclusions
◆ Features of 5G Technology
Now we will know about some important features of 5G Technology. Come to know
what new features are there in 5G Technology that are not in other network technology.
- Up to 10gbps data rate at present in this.
Along with this comparing with 4G and 5G network, network improve with the rate of 10 to 100x
- It consist of one-millisecond latency.
- It has 1000x bandwidth per unit area.
- We can connect upto100x number connected device per unit area.( compare with four 4G LTE)
- This all are time available. Hence it has availability of 99.999%.
- It provides 100% coverage
- It helps in saving energy and hence mostly helps in reducing 90% network energy usage.
- You can use low power IOT device in it which provide power to you for almost 10 years.
- It consists high increased peak bit rate
and also have more data volume per unit area.(i.e high system spectral efficiency)
- It has more capacity which help in connecting with more devices concurrently and instantaneously.
- It is lower battery consumption.
- It provide better connectivity in any geographic region so if you talk then it can support more number of supporting devices
- Very less investment is used in developing infrastructural.
- There is more reliability in its communication.
◆ How does 5G technology work?
In the wireless network, cell sites are present in them which is divided into sectors that send data through radio waves. It is not wrong to say that Fourth generation (4G)Long Term Evolution(LTE)wireless technology had only ready the foundation of 5G. Where in 4G there is a requirement of high power cell towers for radiating the signals to the longer distance, to transmit 5g wireless signal it also requires small cell stations which are to be put in a small place like light poles and building roofs. There is use of multiple small cells because in millimeter-wave spectrum band of spectrum is always between 30Ghz to
300GHz and also because to produce high speed in 5G which can only travel short distances. Other than this, this signal can easily interfere with weather and physical obstacle like buildings.
If we talk about wireless technology of the previous generation then in this lower frequency bands of the spectrum is used.
Along with this, there are more distance and interference through millimeter-wave challenges. To avoid this, the wireless industry thanks to use lower frequency spectrum in 5G networks so that network operators can use those spectra that are already available to them. Lower frequency spectrum always covers more distances but it has lower speed and capacity in compare with millimeter wave.
◆What is the status of 5G Deployment?
World’s four-country- United States, Japan, South Korea, and China have maximum main development of 5G. Here network operators are giving more concentration on making 5G buildouts. It is to said that till 2030 network operators will be investing nearly crores billions of dollars in connection with 5G. How will 5G services would generate their investment return has not been clear said by popular Tech company Technology Business Research Inc. It is wished that new companies and startup which are using evolving technology of 5G they can keep care of revenue of these operators.
Simultaneously, other standard bodies are also working above the 5G equipment standards. Nearly 3rd Generation Partnership Project(3GPP) had given approval for the 5G New Radio (NR)standard in December 2017 and till
ending of 2018, it wish for ending of the 5G mobile core standard which is important for 5G cellular services. This 5G radio system is not compatible with 4G radio system but network operators had purchased wireless radios to whom they want to upgrade. They want to upgrade this through software and not with hardware update because in hardware update they have to purchase new equipment.
Where 5G wireless equipment standard had been offered in this situation first 5G –
compliant smartphones and other associated wireless devices will commercially hoping to be available till 2019. Complete using of 5G technology wish to be from 2020. Till 2030, 5G services will be used at full-fledged and its uses will be in autonomous vehicle navigation in virtual reality(VR) content. It will also be monitored in real time.
◆ Types of 5G wireless services available
Network operators provide two types of 5G services.
The first service is of 5G fixed wireless broadband services which deliver internet access to home and in businesses without any wired connection till their premises. For doing this, Network operator deploys an NRs into small cell sites near buildings so that it can beam any signal to the receiver who are available at any rooftop or windowsill. By this, it amplified into the premises. Fixed broadband services become cheap for the operators to provide services because through this approach they don’t have to lie each residence in fiber optic lines but to install fiber optics till cell sites. The customer receives broadband services through wireless modems present in their residence or businesses.
Other service is of cellular services which help users to access 5G cellular network services of operator. This services will firstly rolled out in 2019 when first 5G enabled devices will commercially available to be purchase. Delivery of cellular service depends upon completion of mobile core standards. According to 3GPP, this will be completed within the end of 2018.
◆What are the advanced features of 5G?
If we compare earlier radio technologies with this new 5G technology then we can see the following advancement like-
- Practically we can achieve super speed of 1-10 Gbps in this.
- Here latency will be 1 millisecond (end to end in round trip).
- Along with this here is the 1000x bandwidth per unit area.
- It can easily be connected to 10-100 devices.
- It provide worldwide coverage.
- Other than this, nearly 90% of energy reduction is from it.
- Battery life is very long compare from others.
- Here whole world becomes one Wi-Fi zone.
◆ What is spectrum band of 5G?
5G networks run with 3400 MHz, 3500 MHz, and 3600 MHz bands. 3500 MHz band is known to be ideal. Millimeter wave spectrum can play a major role in 5G. It is said to be millimeter-wave because its length is between 1 to 10 mm. Millimeter wave works with 30 – 300 GHz frequency. This wave can be used in satellite network and Radar system.
If this millimeter wave is used in 5G then this credit will go to sir Jagdish Chandra Bose. He showed how this wave can be used for communication in 1895.
◆ What are main advantages of 5G?
There are many advantages of 5G that are given below
- High resolution and bi-directional large bandwidth shaping.
- Through this all network could be brought under one platform.
- This is more effective and efficient.
- Better download and upload speed.
- Through this technology supervision tools have been provided to subscriber so that they can take quick action.
- Through this broadcasting data(in Gigabit) can be in large huge and by this it can support more than 60,000 connections.
- It can be easily managed with previous generations.
- It is technically sound to support heterogeneous services ( private network).
- Through this Technology, connectivity can be provided to whole world in the form of uniform, uninterrupted and consistent.
- You will achieve parallel multiple services in this like you can know the information about weather and location while talking.
- You can control your PCs through handsets.
- From this, education is very easy because students can take knowledge from any place of the world.
- Medical treatment will also be easy because any patient who is present in any remote location of the world doctor can treat him /her with this technology.
- From this monitoring will be easy as government organization and investigating officer can easily monitor any place and hence by this there would be decrease in crime rate.
- Space, galaxies and other planets can be easily seen.
- Any lost person can easily be found.
- Upcoming big disasters like Tsunami, earthquake etc could be early detected.
◆ What are main dis-advantages of 5G?
With many researched and conceptualized, 5G technology have been made in a better way to overall radio signal problems and hardship of mobile world. But then also it has some disadvantages which I’m going to discuss further-
- Now also 5G technology is under process and research is going on.
- The speed which it says to give it seems hard to achieve because in many parts of the world this much support of technology is not present.
- Many old devices is not compatible with this new 5G technology hence it has to be made different which will be an expensive deal.
- It can cost more to develop its infrastructures.
- Many security and privacy related issue are present in it which hadn’t been solved now.
◆ What are the applications of 5G?
Come to know information of some significant applications
- It can become a unified Global standard for whole world.
- Availability of network will be all side through which more and more people can use this better technology anywhere at any time.
- Because of IPv6 technology in it, IP address of mobile will be provided according to its connected network and geographical position.
- It has a capacity to change whole world in a one real Wi-Fi zone.
- Through its cognitive radio technology, different versions of radio technologies as spectrum can be efficiently used.
- Peoples of higher altitude can easily achieve the advantage of radio signal through this technology.
◆ Main challenges of 5G.
Any new development have a big part i.e challenges because being of these challenges only there will be more better technology. Every Technology like 5G also have big challenges. Few years back we see how radio technology has grown faster, there is only 40 years gap between 1G to 5G ( 1G in 1980s and 5G which is going to come in 2020). But in this time gap, we have observed some common challenges like lacking of infrastructures, research methodology and cost.
In today’s era, there are also many countries where 2G and 3G technologies are to be use and people even don’t know about 4G. In this condition following question may be arising in all’s mind-
- How far this 5G would be viable?
- Will some developed countries and developing countries would be attracted by this technology?
To better understand this question challenges of 5G have been divided into two headings-
1. Technological Challenges
2. Common Challenges
1. Intercell interference – This is one of the big technological issues which have to be solved fast. Because there is much difference between the size of traditional macro cells and concurrent small cells so in further it can give rise to interference.
2. Efficient Medium Access Control – Situation where there is a requirement of dense deployment of access point and user terminal, their user throughput will be low, high latency, hotspot will be not competent with cellular technology to provide more throughput. Thus it should be researched properly to optimize this technology.
3. Traffic Management – Because of more human traffic in cellular networks and more number of Machine to Machine (M2M) devices in one cell it can give rise to serious system challenges which is the radio access network (RAN) challenges, that can give birth to overload and congestion afterward.
2. Common Challenges
1. Multiple Services – 5G have to do big task compare to other radio signal services like heterogeneous networks, technologies, and operating devices which works in different geographic regions. So the challenges is this that it provides people’s dynamic, universal, user-centric, and data reach wireless service in standard form.
2. Infrastructure – Because of lack of infrastructure, researchers have to face many technological challenges of standardization and lack in application of 5G services.
3. Communication, Navigation, and Sensing – This services mostly depend on availability of radio spectrum through which signals are to be transmitted. Because of 5G technology have strong computational power to process big volume of data which comes from different and distant sources but for this
it needs big infrastructure support.
4. Security and Privacy – This is one of the most important challenges in which 5G have to give more attention through which people’s personal data should be protected. It also have to pay more attention in other security threats of 5G like trust, privacy, cybersecurity because these threats are continuously increasing all over the world.
5. Legislation of Cyber law – Cybercrime and other fraud will also be increase because of having high speed and ubiquitous 5G technology. Hence it is most necessary to implement Cyber law properly.
◆ Future scope of 5G
Many researches and discussion are being going on all over world by world’s popular technologists, researchers, academicians, vendors, operators, and governments in account of 5G innovations, implementation, viability and security concerns.
Already it had been told that in 5G there are many features present which will provide better services. But one question would be arising in all mind that what will be the future of 5G? where previous technology (3G and 4G) is now also under process and many parts had not been started till now.
5th generation technology had been designed better so that it can do incredible and remarkable data capabilities, unhindered call volumes, and immeasurable data broadcast through this latest mobile operating system, thus it is more intelligent technology which will be most helpful in interconnecting the whole world. Like this our world will get universal and uninterrupted access to information, communication, and entertainment which will open a door of new dimension in our life and it will make our lifestyle more better and meaningful.
Along this governments and regulators can also use this technology to create good governance and better healthier environments. People’s favour towards 5G will help to make it more better.
Hope I had given you all the information about what is 5G? and how does it work? And I also hope you all have understood about what is 5G? It’s my request with all readers to share this information with their neighbors, relations and friends so that there will be awareness and all will get profit. I want your cooperation with me so I can bring more new information to you.
Always I want to help my readers from any field, if you have any doubt then you can frequently ask me. I will surely try to solve your doubt. How do you like this written – what is 5G technology and when it will be launch? write down in the comment and tell me so I should also get opportunity to learn and to correct something. To show your happiness and excitement upon me please share this post in Social Network like Facebook, Google+, and Twitter etc.